Monday, March 22, 2010

Day 7 and 8: The Quest for the Product

I've been having a hard time coming up with a product, and its been making me a little frustrated.  When I see that its Day 8 and I don't even have a product chosen, I feel like I'm behind.  Plus, without a product chosen, I really can't move forward.  However, I know that choosing a product and then testing it is the hardest part of the process, so I need to be patient.  Everything else will fall into place.

So here is the product that I've been thinking about, but that I don't fit the market for.  Katelyn's mom had this great business that she tried starting, but in the end didn't have the desire or time to continue.  She designed, produced, and sold organic clothing, and the name of her business was Can You Dig It.  Yes, she is definitely a hippy.  She sold clothing for all ages, but I would scrap all of the clothing other than baby clothing, as I see this as the best market.  I would also only sell it, but would outsource the producing and shipping.  

Many modern parents are very concerned with making sure that their babies eat and wear organic, even if they themselves don't.  Especially when you remind them that their skin is the largest organ on their body.  Note this Simpsons episode for further explanation of this market. (for those outside the US that can't use Hulu, its Season 21 Episode 6)

I know that there are places that already sell organic baby clothes, but I would be selling clothes with Stephanie's (Katelyn's mommy) designs, which were really cute.  You can't resist a little onesie that says "seedling", "sweet pea" or "pea in a pod" with a cute design on it.  Impossible.  Even so, I may get someone else to make more designs. My sister and her husband own a business that sells baby clothing from designers to retailers, so I'm going to talk to them about this and get their input.

Other products I'm considering:  Once Katelyn is finished with her blogrimage we are thinking of somehow making a how to product of her experience and selling that.  Also, Amy Ellison gave a great idea of making an imdb for musicians.  I'll have to look into that one more.  

On the productive side, I registered for www.elance.com today and made a job description for my first Virtual Assistant (VA)!   We want to hire a VA to do bookkeeping for Wisdom's House.  I researched different accounting VA firms, and found one that I liked and trusted, with great reviews.  Then I made an elance account and submitted them the job description.  Now I wait to hear back from them.  The prospect of it is very exciting, as I plan on using VA's regularly for this business and others that I start.

I've decided that even if there is no progress on my blogrimage, that I will at least post one helpful resource, or cool tidbit every blog and call it Peace of Schmidt (puns intentional).  Let me know your thoughts on the organic baby clothing!!

Peace of Schmidt:
You can use www.legalzoom.com to do all sorts of simple legal work online.  Register a business with the state, and even file a patent, its easy and cheap.  Check it out!  Donesky. 

6 comments:

  1. Joe - all great ideas! I could see both the org baby clothes and Katelyn's stuff really working :). The Lord knows :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude IMDB for albums! I waste so much time on itunes and wikipedia, and most of the time they never list producers, or studio musicians, ect. I think it is worth a little thought, but I also have no babies... So baby clothes interests me not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll be rich in no time! IMBD for musicians could really take off. Consider it seriously, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great ideas Joe! i'm in class so not much time to leave a great comment but wanted you to know i'm learning from your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Organic baby clothes sounds fun BUT personally speaking, I probably wouldn't buy it. This economy has me shopping the clearance racks at Target for my kids. Organic sounds pricey... However, I'm sure there are folks with moolah who would like that sort of thing. You'd have to really differentiate from your competition somehow -it may be a small market.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I vote for musician imdb - sounds right up the ol' schmidt alley (catching up on blogs after losing internet a week ago).

    ReplyDelete